NJDOT has developed a traffic mitigation plan to ensure that traffic flows smoothly and safety through the construction zone. One major priority was to maintain the current traffic capacity and ramp movements on I-295, Route 42, and I-76 throughout construction. All travel lanes will remain open during peak rush hours with closures limited to nights to lessen the impact on your commute.
NJDOT Traffic Mitigation Plan Objectives:
- Maintain acceptable levels of traffic flow through the construction area.
- Minimize travel delays experienced by motorists during construction.
- Educate the public about the purpose, objectives and benefits of the project.
- Encourage motorists to use transit and other alternative modes and educate travelers about the benefits of these modes.
- Reduce the number of incidents within the construction area.
Traffic Mitigation Strategies being implemented by NJDOT:
- Route 42 southbound Improvements: Add a 5th southbound lane on Route 42 between Route 55 and Leaf Avenue and relieve recurring evening commute problems which affect miles of I-76 eastbound and I-295 southbound traffic. This project is complete.
- Route 168 Operational Improvements: Implement Adaptive Signal Control from Benigno Boulevard to Route 130 to optimize traffic signal timing and arterial traffic flow. This work is included in the Advanced Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) Contract which is under construction.
- Route 130 Operational Improvements : Implement Adaptive Signal Control from Highlands Ave to Route 38 (Airport Circle) to optimize traffic signal timing and arterial flow. This work is included in the Advanced ITS Contract which is under construction.
- ITS Field Devices: Expand/enhance NJDOT's traveler information and travel time systems along all four freeways approaching the interchange within a 10-mile radius. Additional CCTV's are being added along Route 42 at Route 55 and on each leg of the interchange. This work is included in the ITS Advance Contract which is under construction.